Ship's Log

Photo Gallery

Visit our Facebook albums to view all of the photos and video we take aboard Liberty - the good, the bad, and the ugly. Become a page fan and upload your own images.

Charter Log

Liberty's fishing and charter reports ...go

Meet Liberty

Take a photo tour of our 46' Hatteras...go

Reel Reports Endorsed Fishing Guide

Join Our Mailing List

Full Name:

Email Address:

Confirm email:


| More

2011 Fishing & Charter Reports

  • August 2, 2011
  • August 3, 2011
  • August 3, 2011
  • August 5, 2011
  • August 7, 2011
  • August 7, 2011
  • August 9, 2011
  • August 9, 2011
  • August 11, 2011
  • August 11, 2011

From the guest log:

Great time! We'll be back. ~ Angler from Binghamton, NY

Great trip. Great boat & crew ~ Angler from Woodstock, NY

August 9, 2011

Captain Kirstyn reports: With all the northerly wind we've been having, the weather has been rather cool on the bay this week. Luckily, the fishing is just starting to heat up... If only slightly for now.

I left the dock on Monday for a full day charter knowing that we had a few options. We could try for either bass or blues, we could try the shoals or the deep water, and if we wanted to take a bit of a steam, we could try Provincetown or Barnstable. A bit of a hunch told me to leave the flats of Barnstable to the boats from Barnstable harbor, and the reports from Provincetown have not been promising lately. With all that in mind, we went into the fog towards the shoals to see if there might be some bass there mixed in with the bluefish that another Rock Harbor charter captain had reported catching there on the early four hour.

Our lines weren't in the water more than a few minutes before we doubled up on blue fish. We reeled them in, threw them back, and set the lines again. A few minutes later we quadrupled up on fish, two blue fish on the chugger head hoochies in the outriggers, and two bass on the jigs. One of the bass had to go back, its size more appropriate for fresh water than salt, but the other one, around 31 inches, went in the fish box.

We continued to jig from the north edge to the south edge, and circling around in between. Finding that the south edge seemed be home to more bass, we settled in there and worked the edge for a time. The action was fairly consistent, and the fish were a mixed bag. Big blue fish, small blue fish, tiny bass, 36" bass, with the bigger bass favoring a purple jig (which they have been liking a lot lately). We caught all of these fish without ever having marked a thing.

After the tide changed and the fog cleared, the fish cleared out of the south edge too. We worked our way up to the north edge and caught a few more. After a bit of havoc with some snags and tangled lines, it was just about time to paddle home. Just in time, too, as the fish just kept moving, possibly out to the deep water. Though I tried to find them again, both for our benefit and for the boats that were coming out for the late four hour, I think the fish left the shoals.

Despite all the fish that had been in Barnstable last week, three boats from Barnstable harbor tried trolling around for hours in the morning, finding nothing. Some of the other charter boats out of Rock Harbor took the trip to Provincetown, with a bit better results. From their reports, it sounds like the fishing is just starting to pick up. The boats up there caught a few nice bass between them, the biggest ones around 25 pounds. Mostly, there were just hordes of blue fish, but it's certainly nice to know that the bass are coming back up there, if only a few at a time, especially if the fishing in Barnstable has slowed down again.

Tuesday's half day was about the same, if not a bit tougher. I'm sure if we had more time we would have been able to pick a few more out, but alas, the tide beckons.

We headed right out to the shoals, started up on top, closer to the north edge. There were a few really big schools to be marked on the fish finder, but they didn't touch our jigs, even after going over them a few times. This sort of behavior tends to tell me that they're moving quite a bit. With that in mind, I put out the rigs, hoping there'd be one or two fish to be enticed. Even if they tend to catch smaller fish on the shoals, it's action. While some of the other boats had luck on the rigs, ours didn't look tasty enough for the fish, so we went back to jigging. We caught a few fish, the one we kept was about 32 inches. The biggest one I heard caught for the day was in the 40s.

After the change of tide, the fish started moving towards the south edge, most likely to settle there until the tide turned again, as they tend to do. Unfortunately, we never got a chance to get back on them, as we were quickly losing water, but our crew caught their dinner and were content to enjoy the ride home up on the bow.

It's nice to see that the fish are back on the shoals, after marking only bait there for a few days. Even if they didn't eat that well for us on Tuesday, they should start opening their mouths more and more in the coming days. And if not, at least the blue fish are finally here!

From the guest log:

Always the Best - Tuna Next ~ Angler from Berkley, MA

August 7, 2011

Captain Kirstyn reports: If you ever ask one of our captains when the best time of year is to go fishing for stripers on Cape Cod Bay, we will unhesitatingly answer: June. The weather starts getting warmer and the stripers come in the boat five at a time. However, spring is not the only time when it's worth going striper fishing. August can be tough, especially the first couple of weeks. Some days we can't manage to jig up a single striper, others, they're begging to be caught. It's a real gamble if you decide to fish in August.

Our crew on Sunday decided to roll the dice and give a try. They've been coming out with us for years and they are one of our crews who has gotten lucky and had a great day of fishing every time. Sunday was no exception. Surrounded on either side by tough fishing days, this day started out looking about the same. Dad (a.k.a. Captain Marty) and I made the trip to Barnstable, after hearing that the morning bite had been excellent there recently. Again, it was a gamble, but if the fish were there and they were eating, it would definitely prove to be worth the hour long haul. It took a couple of hours of constantly marking fish, but not catching them (save for a single 27" fish on a jig) before they finally decided our rigs looked tasty. All the while the weather was getting worse and worse. Eventually, the crew had to come out of the salon in the sideways rain to reel in their fish. They would hook up two or three at a time, but often we would only bring one of the lot in. It was no surprise once we got them into the boat to see why they would get away, they were huge! Not a fish under 36" once we switched to rigs.

We managed to get four of the monsters into the boat, with two others just barely out of the grasp of my gaff. The biggest of the day was 47.5" and 37 lbs. A record on the Liberty for the year.

So don't be afraid to go fishing in August. The fish may not be as plentiful as earlier in the year, but when you catch them, it's usually worth it.

From the guest log:

Heavy Rain & Heavy Fish! 48" ~ Angler from Weston, MA

Rain & Rain & Big fish ~ Angler from Weston, MA

Always a great Day !!! TX ~ Angler from Woburn, MA

9 yrs & counting ~ Angler from Medford, MA

Awesome time! Hope to be back again. ~ Angler from San Angelo, TX

Fun! Thanks. We'll be back. ~ Angler from Northboro, MA

Thanks for a good day ... as always ~ Angler from Northboro, MA

Great Day! Awesome catch! ~ Angler from Northboro, MA

See you next year! ~ Angler from Norwich, CT

3rd straight year. Great boat & crew. ~ Angler from Sharon, MA

Fabulous Day! Excellent Crew. 5 Keepers = FULL FREEZER. ~ Angler from Southboro, MA

Great trip! Thank U! ~ Angler from Agawam, MA

Great trip. 12 hour Tuna Fishing in Oct. See you then ~ Angler from Chicopee, MA

Fantastic Trip! Outstanding Crew! ~ Angler from Jefferson, MA

Wonderful - Thank You! ~ Angler from State College, PA




top ^            2010 »