Ship's Log

Photo Gallery

Visit our Facebook albums to view all of the photos and video we take aboard Liberty - the good, the bad, and the ugly. Become a page fan and upload your own images.

Charter Log

Liberty's fishing and charter reports ...go

Meet Liberty

Take a photo tour of our 46' Hatteras...go

Reel Reports Endorsed Fishing Guide

Join Our Mailing List

Full Name:

Email Address:

Confirm email:


| More

2011 Fishing & Charter Reports

  • July 3, 2011
  • July 5, 2011
  • July 8, 2011
  • July 13, 2011
  • July 15, 2011
  • July 20, 2011
  • July 21, 2011
  • July 22, 2011
  • July 22, 2011
  • July 23, 2011
  • July 26, 2011

July 28, 2011

Captain Kirstyn reports: The week started painfully slow fishing wise. An easterly wind on Monday and Tuesday must have messed the fish up a bit, because they were hardly anywhere to be seen.

The eight hour on Monday seemed to be off to a good start, albeit a little chilly, with a decent amount of fish gathered on the south edge of Billingsgate Shoals. We saw a few birds, marked them on the fish finder, and they took our jigs here and there. We picked out three keepers before they disappeared. From there we gave the north edge a shot, looking up on top along the way, but there weren't any sign of fish there either. There were some other boats in the fleet out in deep water catching some blue fish, so we went up there to give that a shot. After a while, however, those disappeared too. Eventually we ended up down on the Brewster flats, chasing one school of fish that was continually elusive. After some time of that, it was time to head in.

The four hour trip on Tuesday was more of the same, without the bass in the beginning. We started on the shoals, looking on the south edge, on top, and the north edge. A few were taken throughout the fleet, but the fish were moving fast, wherever they were going, so it took a lot of luck to catch them. The amount of bait everywhere on the shoals was unbelievable, but there were absolutely no fish under them. I hoped that the fish would roll in with the change of tide and find the bait on the shoals, but while we waited, I decided to head out to the deep water to find some blue fish. After catching a couple of those, and still hearing no good news from the shoals, we gave the Brewster flats a shot again. After a while of looking around there, I marked some fish, passed over them a few times, but they just wouldn't eat. By then, it was time to head in. I was grateful to have caught any fish at all, given that some others didn't catch anything , but it was still very far from a good fishing day.

Come Wednesday, I was a little more hopeful about the fishing, as there had been a bit of a storm Tuesday night and the wind had come around to north west. We headed out on the four hour straight to the north edge of the shoals. Though the wind was negligible, there were still some waves left over from the storm, so it was tough for all the boats to work the edge, which goes roughly east to west. Eventually the waves calmed down and we all filed into our ranks going along the north edge where we found a mixed bag. There were bass sized from the mid 30s all the way down 12 inches, and a few blue fish here and there that, according to some of the captains, were biting the rigs pretty well. We were jigging, though, so we caught mostly bass. Around the change of tide, the fish thinned out on the north edge. Eventually, we found them on top, closer to the south edge. There were a couple of big schools in a small area, so right in the last 30 minutes of the trip, there were at least 20 boats with their bows all pointed in the same direction, which caused for quite the "traffic jam." However, from the sounds of the talk on the radio, everyone got their one last go at the fish. Overall, the fishing wasn't great, but as Captain Ellis of the Watanye pointed out, the fishing was "3,000 times better than Tuesday."

Thursday was about the same. Fishing started slow on the North edge of the shoals, but was good for a few people that could be in the right place at the right time with the right jigs. After the fish did their disappearing act, we headed out to deep water and caught a couple of blue fish in 40-50 feet of water. Once the tide turned, the fish started biting in a couple of groups along the south edge. We headed to the west, while some of the other boats headed to the east. It was reported that the fish were busting on top of the water to the east, and feeding pretty well. To the west, where we went, the fish were holding tight to the bottom, but biting well enough to pick out a few keepers and a couple of throw backs. While the fishing wasn't great, it was still much better than the beginning of the week.

From the guest log:

Outstanding Day Thanks ~ Angler from Windsor, MA

Thanks! ~ Angler from Dalton, MA

6th yr 8hr trip - fish all great & no better time ~ Angler from Cheshire, MA

Thank you ~ Angler from Wolcott, CT

Best experience I ever had! ~ Angler from Wolcott, CT

Awesome! Hope to be back next year. ~ Angler from Warwick, RI

Fantastic time ~ Angler from Douglas, MA

Great time. Great crew. ~ Angler from West Roxbury, MA

July 16, 2011

Captain Marty reports: Our half day trip on Friday resulted in good steady fishing on top of the shoals. Jigs work the best and got us fish to over 40". We were able to get our limit with ease and our crew asked us to ease the Liberty back to port after having a very rewarding and enjoyable trip.

Reports from Provincetown were not good at all. Boats that fished the Bathhouse, the Race and the Cottages all reported no fish. The normal areas were all completely void of fish to such a degree that boats that did fish there were completely skunked!

Our Saturday half day was a real tough trip. We were able to bring home fish, but after our Friday trip the few fish we were able to find was a disappointment. All the fleet suffered the same at the hands of the fish. The full day trips were just as tough.

We are having a weather change and we will be looking at different behavior patterns in the next few weeks. I expect the fish to be in deep water off the North edge, as they were Sunday, and settling back in off the Bathhouse. Summer has arrived and the Bay is the perfect place to escape some of the dog days to come.

From the guest log:

Fabulous company! Good Fishing, too ~ Anglers from Boston & Sandwich, MA

Awesome trip. Great Captain & Mate. Thanx. ~ Angler from Chicago, IL

We come every year. ~ Angler from Brewster, MA

Great time as always! ~ Angler from Readville, MA

Wonderful day - lots of fish & fun - Thanks Marty & John ~ Angler from Morristown, TN

Rain but still a great day. Thanks! ~ Angler from Weston, MA

Eating fish for a long time! ~ Angler from Weston, MA

Loved it! We will be back. ~ Angler from Congo, AF

Rocked it once again. We will be back. ~ Angler from Melrose, MA

July 5, 2011

Captain Kirstyn reports: Fishing was little different today than it has been these past few weeks in that we had a choice of where to fish. For a while now, the fish have either been in deep water or on top of the shoals, which is indeed how it often works. By the time we left for the four hour this afternoon, Captain Hap Farrell of the Stunmai had already been out for the early morning eight hour and informed the fleet that he left the fish out in deep water, but the fish that have been on the west end of the shoals were still there too. Decisions, decisions. The fish to the west have been plentiful, but small. This leads to steady action, but few keepers. In the deep water, we usually find that the fish are bigger, but there are less of them and they are more of a challenge to catch. However, our crew today decided they would opt for the chance at bigger fish, so to the deep water we went.

We made it to the deep water north of the shoals, set the jigs, and waited. Some of the other boats from our fleet were already fishing and they were reporting that they were marking some, catching some, but it sounded pretty slow. I don't like slow fishing, so after twenty minutes or so without a fish, I was beginning to think it would be worth it to head back to the shoals, just to ensure our customers went home with something. After only a few minutes more of dodging boats and trying to find where the fish were, we hooked up and brought in a nice 36" fish. Not a bad way to start the trip, and certainly a good sign that sticking around for at least a little while longer would be worth it.

We continued to pick away at the fish pretty steadily, and with every fish we caught, another boat headed back to the shoals. That was fine by me, more room to make crazy turns and find the fish that just did not want to stay in one place. We caught eight fish total, and only one throw back. Back on the shoals there were certainly plenty of fish, but they weren't overly hungry, and by the sounds of it, there were more skates being caught than fish. And by staying out in the deep water, we even made a friend -- a little minke whale. He stayed near by most of the trip, close enough to spot every now and then, but far enough away to stay clear of our lines -- the perfect distance.

The fishing could have been better -- it always could be. But overall, it was another great day on Cape Cod Bay.

July 3, 2011

Captain Marty reports: The last week has continued to provide us with some excellent bass fishing. The fish are being taken on the west end of Billingsgate shoal on both the north and south edges. These fish prefer the jigs but can be taken occasionally on rigs. The keeper to undersize ratio on most days is about 50/50 with both the full day and half day trips earning keepers.

We have also been finding fish off the north edge of Billingsgate shoal. These fish are of a high ratio of keeper to undersized fish. They tend to be a little less predictable in where they are and how best to catch them. We have trolled rigs with various length wire and combos of hooch's and bombers in the outriggers as well as going to the bottom with jigs for them.

There are also fish up in Provincetown both outside by the Bath House and Race point and also in the harbor by the cottages. These fish are very tide oriented and, having not had to fish them yet, I can't say which side of the tide is best.

The bay remains very active with an abundance of bait which include sand eels and mackerel. It is great to see mackerel in the bay this late in the season. I'm sure that not having a large body of bluefish to chop the mackerel up has helped keep them around.

We have many customers who fish with us for the first time and one of the first things they notice and comment about is our white shirts. The white shirts and dark pants are a tradition for us started by my father, Captain Elmer Costa. When I boarded the boat as mate in 1966, I was expected to wear the white shirt and dark pant. The choice may seem a little out of place on board a fishing boat but it was practical in that white was cool offshore while working in the sun. It was also to make our customers feel that we are here to serve them as great a fishing experience possible on the finest vessel we can provide and with the most professional crew. This is a tradition well worth continuing.




top ^            2010 »